Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy Fathers Day


My dad was a great guy! I know people hear that all the time, but my dad truly was. Not only was he accepted by my pals as "one of the guys" he also did a terrific job of walking the line of being a father, and a buddy. My dad was about 10 years older than most of my friends dads, (he once said he forgot to go to the drug store that day!)but he was always the guy to go out and play with us. He served in WWII in the navy. I once told a school friend that my dad was in WWII and he said "Oh yeah? well my dad was in world war one!!" Took me a few years to figure out that it was a lie! My dad and I had the same since of humor, once calling my mom and telling her that we got in trouble and were in jail! She fell for it! My dad once short sheeted my bed, starting a month of "one uppers" we pulled on each other. I painted his finger nails pink, he didn't notice until he was at work! He got me back by telling me, with a totally straight face, that the girl I was drooling over had called but he lost her phone number! When I called her back, I found out that she had NOT called and wasn't interested in talking to me! . Every girl that I knew, loved my dad. There were times that a girl would come by to see me and I'd be out, so they would stay and talk with my dad! When I tried out for football when I was 12, the coach put me at nose tackle knowing that I'd get pummeled. I did but I wouldn't quit because my dad was there watching. I took a beating, but it hurt my dad much more, something I never realized until I became a dad. By the way, I didn't make the team, but I did make the Babe Ruth team. My dad was so proud that he wrote me a letter telling me how proud of me he was. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was to me. Every summer, he and I would go to, at least, one movie. In 1985, we went in late Sept to see Back To The Future. We both loved it and I remember the drive home talking about how weird it would be if I was to go back in time and meet him at 17 years old! We had a great time that day. I lost him just three weeks later, but again he and I were together. My dad loved my sisters with all his heart, but he and I were pals. I miss him every time there's a Raider game on, or when ever I see boxing on TV. He loved that sport!
So here's to all the dads out there, and to my dad!


Sure is nice out tonight...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! I was one of those girls who loved your Father, he always had a great sense of humor & a love for you that was immeasurable. His passing was a great loss for many but I am a much better person for having known him. He would be so proud of you for just like him you are an awesome Father & pal to your children. I am greatful to your Dad & Mom for they have given me a wonderful man who is the Love of my life!!! Happy Father's Day Baby...I Love you with all my heart!!

I think I'll leave it out!

Anonymous said...

Well, again you made me cry. Each of us has special memories of Dad. He made each of us feel special. I miss him greatly. I see him in you when you get out there and play with your kids the way he played with us. One of my best memories is the neighborhood water fight. Dad started it, he was up on the roof behind the tree getting Mom with the hose when I got home from school. The rest is history. Happy Father's Day to you Jeff. I love you.

Lori said...

Not only was your post a moving tribute to your dad, but these comments are a wonderful tribute to you. How blessed you were to have such an amazing man in your life!

Happy Father's Day to you!

Anonymous said...

I never thought anyone could come close to being like your Dad. To me he was one of a kind, but you are definately his clone, right down to the chicken dance (Oakland A's) I am so proud of you and love you so much.
Mom

Mike said...

Sorry to be late on responding to your post about your dad.

I have good memories of him also. I remember the "top secret" armored car ride we had at the Starlight Drive-in....I remember the kiddie movie theatre we used to go to on Saturdays...the camping trip....the races in Madera...

As we have aged ( very well I must add) we get a different perspective on what it is to be a dad and what our fathers did for us.

It is a blessing to have a great father and to have such great warm memories...

Happy fathers day Gopper.